Friday, August 15, 2008

Yeh Jo Desh Hai Tera !

Reached office pretty late, and once there, went for my regular morning Mocha to cafeteria. Saw a familiar smiling Indian face outside the cafe, on his phone. Smiled , waved, and walked towards the coffee stall. Lady there, knowing my regular routine, didn't even bother to ask and proceeded to make my extra hot Mocha with whipped cream. Coffee ready, I walked outside towards the back of cafeteria, overlooking lush green mountains, and I can see some cows grazing there. My favorite place in the campus. Took my seat, flipped Marlboro open and lit it up. Pretty much everyday routine. Calming and peaceful. Nature has its own way of soothing mind. Sets the tone for the whole day.

Just when I was observing some IBMers playing Volleyball and enjoying my morning coffee, that Indian colleague ( he is here for a week from Bangalore ) walked and wished Independence Day, and I wished him back. After some regular office gossips, he asked me how long I have been here, I told him pretty close to five years.
'Then this Independece day shay wont matter to you guys right ? I mean anyways you all leave India for more money and more materialistic comforts, leaving your family their on your own, leaving your country......patriotism wism sab broing bate lagti hongi ?'. I smiled and nodded, and excused myself on the pretext of meeting.

Day passed with regular office chores, but his words remained in my subconscious mind , and kept haunting me throughout. In the evening we had a 'Beer and Banter' party in IBM, and there that gentleman was. He came, and we started chatting.

'So basically from Bangalore?

No no, we are from small town in Uttranachal

Oh ok. So parents and all there?

Yes, whole family is there

Must be visting often?

Nahi yaar kisko time milta hain.....Saal me ek ya do bar...Bangalore me wife hai, kids hai....so no leaves...

So dad is working there in Uttranchal ?

Retired...on pension, I try to help, par apne kharche itne ho jaate hai...

So can you explain whats the difference between my and your situation ? For the last five years I have been visiting India almost every year, spending around a month with my parents, and though I may sound immodest saying this, have probably helped my family more than you even have the intent to.....do you end up doing some social service for India to claim you are more patriotic than me ?...cause thats the only one thing I haven't done, and have really a good heartfelt intent of doing...how do you intend to contribute to India.....?'

Are yaar tu to bura maan gaya....I was just joking in the morning...Lets go and get one more Beer....'

Back home, and listening to this soulful tune from Rahman, and these lyrics....Isnt it art in its highest glory ?...Just gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to it.

'Mitti ki jo khushboo, tu kaise bhoolaayega
Tu chaahe kahin jaaye, tu laut ke aayega
Nayi nayi raahon mein, dabi dabi aahon mein
Khoye khoye dilse tere, koyi ye kahega
Ye jo des hai tera, swades hai tera, tujhe hai pukaara
Ye woh bandhan hai jo kabhi toot nahin sakta'


Yes we do feel guilty, of leaving our motherland, our family back there in order to make a better future for ourselves. And we do have a conscience, and we know our responsibilities, and where our roots are. We do miss those loved ones, those familiar lanes, that warmth. And we will figure out a way to fulfill these responsibilities towards our country, our parents. Nobody needs to remind us.

Happy Independence Day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good comeback :)

Unknown said...

anni..how do u manage to write such touching blogs... attacks directly in the deepest spot of heart... :)

Unknown said...

MAIN AUR MERI DESH KI DHARTI.... LAGE RAHO INDIA LAGE RAHO.

animation said...

Srinivas, Well I never thought of it as comeback....it was jst something bothering me which beer brought out :)

Suri maam, thanks...but I just stated what happened...and since it affected me...I guess it wud affect others who are in similar situation.

Anshul hero,i didnt knw u read these :)

Anshul said...

Anni Dada are you talking about me ??
If yes than i do read when have some time..

I need to talk to you about this one...keep it bookmarked..for our next beer together...