Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cheeni Kum Hai !

I invariably don't take lunch to office. Its either the cafeteria, or few of my favorite restaurants nearby, well almost . As my office is located in a quiet valley far from civilization, typical of any Research center, for the nearest restaurant you need to drive at least 4-5 miles.

Anyways today was one of the rare days I had some delicious Hyderabadi Biryani from yesterday, so decided to take it to office. Lunch time , went to the common room to get it heated in Microwave. And alas, a long queue of my Chinese coworkers was there. I can imagine there names being like - "Sum Ting Wong , Kum Hia Nao , Dum Gai, Kent Go". To keep me engaged , while we were standing in queue, my colleague gave me an English translation of their popular names -

Sum Ting Wong - That's not right
Kum Hia Nao - Come here ASAP
Dum Gai - Stupid guy
Kent Go - Cant Walk

Amused, I noticed that something was not right today though. They were all huddled together and discussing something, as if Corolla has just released a new model, or hakka noodles have become shorter. All I could hear is - chee chaa chaaaaa...chinglish (chinese english). Anyways my enterprising colleague told me they are discussing the AIG fiasco and in general Chinese form a huge customer base. That explains, else I would have held Toyota responsible! Notice the irony of AIG in the pic below though. Click to enlarge.


Nevertheless, our queue ended, and we reached the Microwave. And as soon as I opened it, it felt I have reached an open air Chinese restaurant. What an 'enticing' smell. Now don't get me wrong, though I am a fan of Chinese food, I didn't want my authentic "Hyderabadi Biryani" to smell like "Chinese Fried Rice" by the time it came out of the oven, so decided against microwaving it.

Over the lunch, my colleague shared an interesting anecdote. Some guy made a call to his insurance agent, and a Chinese operator picked up. Difficult to understand what she was speaking, he asked her name.

I am 'Saw Lee'.
Why are you 'Sorry' ? I just asked your name..what is it?
Ya I am 'Saw Lee'.
Hmmm...is 'Anyone' else there ?
'Annie Wan' is on holiday.
God please give phone to 'Someone'
'Sam Wan' is on call.

Lunch over, was walking towards my office from the plaza, and suddenly realized we are outnumbered. Everywhere I can see Chinese colleagues only, and though Taiwaneese, Japanese all seem similar to me, still I could say Tabu and Big B were not right when they patronized that song - 'Cheeni Kum hai'!