Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Like father, like son

'Father calling, father calling...call back'.....Thats how normally my dad leaves me a message. With voice messaging still being very rare in India....dad thinks this is some kind of telegram service and treats it in the same manner! One of my friends`s fathers misatkes GPS voice direction as being the voice of his american girlfrnd named GPS!

I often wonder, why does Indian culture places so much emphasis on mothers, with fathers being sidelined. There are reams of Indian literature about Krisha-Yashoda...and tons of Indian movies, songs placing so much emphasis on mothers. Not to take anything away from our dear mothers, but are our fathers in any way less responsible for our upbringing, our success, or do they love us any lesser?

If I think about myself, a major part of my personality is shaped by how my father is,and that may include good as well as bad. My dad has always been famous for his full on non-veg parties, and his philosophy was that if someone has come to our house for food, he/she should always return fully overwhelmed,and completely satisfied.
I thinks this is something which has come to me subconsciously, and I make sure
that food never falls short....if its wasted...so be it.

My dad has often heard complaints about how he treats servants in our house. They are as important part of our family, and sometimes more, than us. 'Sar pe mat chadao'...ppl would always tell. While starting my American sojourn, I worked in a restaurant while I was doing my Masters . It surprised me how well I could mingle with anybody and everybody in kitchen, how easily I could relate to and form frienships with people from each and every strata of society, and if anyone has to take credit for it...it has to be him.

'Son calling, son calling...thank you dad...and a belated father`s day'.

1 comment:

Ankur said...

Friend calling friend calling ......

joking ...nice one dude...but since India itself is a Mother ..thats people talk like that...

Again joking :)