Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To go or not to go !

One of the colleagues in my office has decided to go back to India, for good. Which brings me to the oft repeated debate which keeps on going among Indian diaspora ( and I assume among immigrants from other countries too ) is to go back to your country or not.

In my opinion,and this is just mine, key is to be flexible. I have seen people claiming they are going to go back after X milestone, but once X is within reach, Y comes in picture. On the other hand there were people claiming they wont ever, and finally packed up and went back.

What is the cirteria ? Once we come to states to study etc, priorities are much different. Your idea of life is cars, clubs, games,materialistic comforts...things which are little difficult to avail in India in a very short span of time. And then comes that period of time when you have got all that, and you are in different 'ashram' of life so say, married with kids etc. Domestic help, which is so difficult and out of reach in States for an average person, children`s educational concerns, ,longing to be with your family back home.....rules change.

hmmmm....that reminds me of some calls I have to make to India...cyao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://brainwave.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/return-to-india/